Group Services Program (COPE)
AYSP offers community-based, short-term, educationally-focused COPE (Community Parent Education) groups, for parents or caregivers of youth aged 12 to 16 years. Adolescent COPE 12+ is a large group parenting course that runs for 8 consecutive sessions/weeks, 2 hours per week. Groups are typically offered twice per year at AYSP and at various locations in Peel Region schools. COPE groups include the use of video clips, problem-solving discussions, skill-building exercises and goal-focused approaches. Course leaders, who are children’s mental health professionals and/or school board staff, guide parents using methods proven to reduce parenting stress and improve parent-child/youth relationships. Parents work together on solutions to parenting challenges, share ideas, and try out new youth behaviour management strategies. Childcare and assistance with transportation is also available if needed.
- Residents of Peel
- Parents/caregivers seeking to overcome parenting difficulties
- Families at risk of requiring more intensive/long-term supports or services
- Parents/caregivers able to consistently attend an 8-week parenting course
- Parent/caregivers amenable to learning about and attempting new behaviour management strategies
- Families may be receiving service from other service providers who determine group will compliment such service