The RAIN Program is an outreach-based counselling and case management program for youth aged 15-17. RAIN specifically addresses the needs of youth who are experiencing mental health challenges and are under housed or homeless, disconnected from family, school, and employment and unable to negotiate service from other agencies.
Goals of the Program:
- Outreach counselling and case management to clients in the community
- The provision of a listening ear and non-judgmental support
- The engagement of youth in a helping relationship aimed at establishing trust to make an effective transition to other support systems
- Response to immediate needs of youth and development of strategies related to:
- basic needs (food, clothing, housing)
- employment and employment readiness
- substance use issues
- mental health challenges
- physical health needs
- Referral and linkage to other organizations and services
- Youth who are residing in the Region of Peel
- Youth aged 15 – 17 yrs
- Youth with mental health issues/presenting concerns such as anxiety, depression, substance misuse, aggression, criminal/anti-social behaviour, chronic isolation from family, negative peer relationships
- Youth who are disconnected from family and in an unstable and unsafe living situation (i.e., residing in shelters, homeless, financial instability)
- Youth who are disconnected from school and/or employment, and unable to effectively connect with and negotiate service from other agencies
- Youth who are actively suicidal, homicidal or in need of immediate crisis stabilization
- When safety of the Youth Worker cannot be ensured
- Self-referrals by the youth
- Community agencies
- Peel School Boards, including but not limited to:
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
- Peel District School Board
- Shelters, Drop-In Centres
- Street Outreach Programs
- Peel Children’s Aid
- Youth Justice Services
- WhereToStart.ca partner organizations
Community partners, youth and caregivers can contact AYSP’s Youth Intake Specialist 905.890.5222. The RAIN Program can also be accessed by calling 1.800.762.8377 ext. 460 (toll free).
Youth and caregivers can also make a self-referral by contacting WhereToStart.ca or by calling 905.451.4655.
Partner organizations and AYSP staff working with clients who meet eligibility requirements can make a referral to the RAIN Program via the Internal Transfer Protocol.
The RAIN Program Supervisor is available to answer any questions you may have regarding the referral process or program criteria.