The Transitions Program is an outreach-based counselling and case management program for youth aged 15-17 who are transitioning out of involvement with Peel Children’s Aid Society. The program offers a community based service, utilizing a strength-based, client-centred approach, focusing on the immediate needs and long term goals of youth.
Goals of the Program:
- Outreach counselling and case management to clients in the community
- The provision of a listening ear and non-judgmental support
- The engagement of youth in a helping relationship aimed at establishing trust to make an effective transition to other support systems
- To provide parents and caregivers with education and support regarding their youth’s transition, when necessary
- Response to immediate needs of youth and development of strategies related to:
- basic needs (food, clothing, housing)
- employment and employment readiness
- substance use issues
- mental health challenges
- physical health needs
- Referral and linkage to other organizations and services
- Residents of Peel
- Youth aged 15 – 17 yrs, and their families
- Youth who are connected with Peel CAS, but are discontinuing involvement and are in need of transitional support
- Youth who are in an unstable and unsafe living situation (ie. residing in shelters, homeless, financial instability)
- Youth who are disconnected from school and/or employment, and unable to effectively connect with and negotiate service from other agencies
- Youth with mental health issues and several of the following behaviours: substance misuse, aggression, criminal/anti-social behaviour, sexual acting out, chronic isolation from family, negative peer relationships
- Youth who are actively suicidal, homicidal or in need of immediate crisis stabilization
- When safety of the Youth Worker cannot be ensured
- Peel CAS
- WhereToStart.ca partner organizations
Peel Children’s Aid Society Workers assess the appropriateness of a youth for the program and contact AYSP’s Youth Intake Specialist.
Youth and caregivers can also make a self-referral by calling Wheretostart.ca at 905.451.4655.
Partner organizations and AYSP staff working with clients who meet eligibility requirements can make a referral to the Transitions Program via the Internal Transfer Protocol.
The Transitions Program Supervisor is available to answer any questions you may have regarding the referral process or program criteria.