Youth Gender Journeys in Peel is a 12-week closed support group for Youth who identify as trans, non-binary, and/or gender non-conforming. Under the guidance of a trans-identified facilitator from the Youth Beyond Barriers program, this group aims to provide gender-diverse youth a safer space to explore their unique identities and lived experiences. Weekly topics will include self-identity, coming out, navigating discrimination, transitioning, etc., and incorporate open discussion, education, art, and the sharing of coping strategies within the group space. Every 4th week will feature a Parent/Caregiver night (separate group), wherein parents and caregivers of gender-diverse youth can learn and share strategies to better support their loved ones.
Goals of the Program:
- To provide support, education, external resources, and practical coping strategies regarding a range of issues relevant to transgender and gender-diverse youth and their caregivers, led by a trans-identified facilitator.
- To provide an inclusive space for transgender and gender-diverse youth to share their experiences and discuss issues that matter to them.
- To bring together caregivers of transgender and gender-diverse youth once every 4 weeks, while providing an inclusive space for them to share relevant experiences and receive practical tools to better support their loved ones.
- Youth residing in Peel
- Youth aged 12-17 years
- Youth who identify as trans or gender-diverse
- Youth who are exploring their identity and expression
- Youth who are actively suicidal, homicidal or in need of immediate crisis stabilization
- When the safety of the worker cannot be ensured
- Self referrals
- School Boards
- Community Agencies
- Internal transfers from AYSP Programs and partner agencies
Community partners, youth and caregivers can contact the AYSP’s Youth Intake Specialist at 905.890.5222. The YGJ Group can also be accessed by calling 1.800.762.8377 (toll free), or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth and caregivers can also make a self-referral by calling Wheretostart.ca at 905.451.4655. Partner agencies and AYSP staff working with clients who meet eligibility requirements can make a referral to the YGJ Program via the Internal Transfer Protocol.